Pages

Apr 1, 2012

I want my hat back - J. Klassen

I want my hat back - Klassen, J.

Summary: A bear almost gives up his search for his missing hat until he remembers something important.



Booklist Reviews
Klassen, who illustrated Caroline Stutson's Cats' Night Out (2010), pens his first story in this odd, and oddly charming, picture book. A bummed-out bear asks if other animals have seen his lost hat. The fox knows nothing. Neither does the frog. Or the rabbit who is wearing a pointy red hat. No luck with the turtle, snake, or armadillo either. Kids will probably be squirming in their seats at this point, just dying to tell the bear what he missed three page turns ago, but then a reindeer jogs Bear's memory by asking what the hat looks like (red, pointy). He runs back to confront the rabbit, and when a squirrel asks him later if he has seen a hat-wearing rabbit, Bear is all innocence: "I haven't seen any rabbits anywhere. I would not eat a rabbit. Don't ask me any more questions." This is, obviously, a dark turn, but there is no denying that the devious humor is right at a child's level. He is a bear, after all; we should be happy he didn't gobble up the rest of the cast. Copyright 2011 Booklist Reviews.

Check Availability